Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It's Get Fit Time!

Monday Feb. 1 I dunked myself in a tank of water and learned my exact Body Fat Percentage, Total Weight, Lean Mass and my Fat Mass. The results are hard to swallow, even while gobbling down a candy bar! When something is on paper, it becomes very real and my results were real, real, real, real.

Every year Stroller Strides puts on a Get Fit Challenge. This year I've again entered. I've got some goals, like this time around I'd like to loose weight instead of gain weight! I believe the one thing I need to do in order to do better then last time, or win, is to not let all this stuff, the contest, the dunk, the new food, the increased exercise, freak me out mentally. Heck the dunk is awful, you have to blow out all the air in your lungs, while submerged in water, while keeping your entire body underwater AND then hold your breath for 3 seconds - really?!?! That was mental torture for me. I did not sleep the night before. BUT, I made it through, I did it, I blew little bubbles and let the air out of my lungs slowly and focused on the sound of the bubbles and then relaxed and waited patiently for the tiny tap on my shoulder to let me know I could come up and breath air again.

I've got some, well ok a lot, of food issues, but I know this and as I've heard from G.I. Joe - know'ing's have the battle. I'm a member of Weight Watchers, work out with Stroller Strides and sometimes go to a gym... but still I struggle.

This time around I'm hoping for new results, positive results, to loose weight & body fat. Honestly, I'm hoping to beat my friend and win the prize money, but we'll talk about that another time.

My instructor is supporting the contestants, as it is contest mind you, by sending emails that include supportive sayings and other emails with food suggestions. One of the emails included a meal plan list of 1200, 1400 and 1600 calories. I've never counted calories, just points, that's how it's done in WW. Calories alone confuse me - I'm good with Calories, Fat and Fiber and a little slider to help figure out the points. But ware there foods that are too high in calories you shouldn't eat? Are there good calories like good fats? What I'm discovering is that sometimes points aren't enough, you need the calories along with the sugar content, the protein content, the vitamin and mineral information, you need the whole picture, to make an educated decision. Ha! Just like in life! Go figure?!

In regards to the meal menus I choose the 1600 calorie option, let's be real here.
Breakfast is easy, toast, peanut butter, fruit even some milk, kinda what I was eating. Lunch and Dinner seem to have excellent options, though I'm still working on getting those, baby steps. Orange Chicken wasn't on the list for dinner, though chicken was along with bread, but that's what was in the fridge so that's what I had for dinner Monday night. The brown rice & veggies were on the list so I had extra of those.

This week my ah-ha moment with calories and the menu has been that there is an option for an evening snack. I'm a late night eater, the boys are asleep the house is quiet, the tv is on showing commercial after commercial of food (yes, I watch live tv, try not to judge!) so I want to eat! Nothing healthy of course, chips and chocolate. This 1600 meal plan includes evening snack ideas!! Monday night, I had string cheese and 3 saltines. YUMMY! Yes, it's just a little, yes it's saltines, but hot-damn if it was the best string cheese and saltines I'd ever had!! The red wine might have helped, but that's not on the 1600 calorie meal plan as an option, so I'm not going to advertise that choice ;)

I'm off and running, the Get Fit Challenge is on my mind and so far not consuming me to the point where I feel like I need to slip in a candy bar- even though there are 60 candy options at my house due to T-Ball making us sell candy. I'm making wise choices that I hope will turn in to habits so I can kick these extra pounds I'm carrying around.



No comments:

Post a Comment